Saturday, August 1, 2009

Withdrawal vs. Depression

I was thinking about the medication withdrawal thing and I remembered what my doc said, "Withdrawal symptoms mimic depression, but it's actually your body going through withdrawal, not depression itself." When he first said this to me in his convincing way, I thought, "OK, I can deal with that. It's not depression, it's just withdrawal."

Several weeks later it hit me: WHAT THE HELL IS THE DIFFERENCE!? IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK, QUACKS LIKE A DUCK, IT'S PROBABLY A DAMN DUCK!!! As I'm reeling from 'withdrawal' symptoms, that feel EXACTLY like depression, I realized that it really doesn't fucking matter if it's withdrawal or depression, I still feel like absolute hell! So, as I've readjusted my meds to their original level, I'm waiting for things to stabilize. I'm also waiting to tell my doc how ridiculous his argument is, and that I'm not doing this again, if ever.

Just like J says, if it's working, don't mess with it. Of course, him being the wiser of the two of us, at least most of the time, he was not too keen on the idea of me changing my meds. Damn, why does he have to be right all the time! Lesson learned - I am still a grasshopper.

No comments: