Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I went with some friends and saw Julie & Julia (http://www.julieandjulia.com/) last night. I really enjoyed this movie for several reasons. Both Amy Adams and Meryl Streep were amazing. I loved seeing all the food, it made me hungry and it also inspired me to cook more interesting food. I'm sure I'm not that unusual in that I end up cooking the same things, about 20 or 30 recipes that are just recycled over and over again. But it would be nice to find some more flavourful recipes and be a bit adventurous.

I also appreciated the fact that Meryl Streep (Julia Child) was a somewhat bigger woman who was beautiful and well liked. I get so freaking tired of movies portraying women any bigger than my thumbnail as the fat chicks who don't get their love interest, and is really only in the movie to reinforce the stereotype that all fat people gorge themselves on food and have absolutely no other interests. I suppose in this movie Julia does love to eat, but in this case it is celebrated.

The movie also reminded me of my own love of writing. At one point in the movie, Julie says to her husband, "You aren't a writer until you are published." I have to disagree with that one. Anyone can write, and thus be a writer. And I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of good written works out there that have not been published, but that are amazing none the less. I'm reminded of an interview I did once with a local author who told me, "If you want to be a writer, you have to write." You might be thinking, well duh! But what she went on to explain was that if you wanted to be a writer, you needed to write your ass off, not just when you got your brilliant idea, or when you knew exactly what you were going to write, or when it was convenient. She explained that you needed to write as often as possible, even if it was about nothing. So here I go, writing my self-indulgent blog about my health and my life.

No comments: