Monday, July 27, 2009

More on Acceptance

I just read this awesome post about fat acceptance and this made a HUGE light go on for me. Check this out: http://kateharding.net/but-dont-you-realize-fat-is-unhealthy/. So far I am learning a lot with several sites, including: http://watrd.wordpress.com/.

A few posts ago I said that I was more comfortable with the size acceptance thing instead of the fat acceptance thing for me personally. I would like to revise my opinion. With some reading I realize that I am both, in that I passionately agree that everyone should be treated with dignity regardless of weight, height, skin color, sex, sexuality, disability, religion, etc. I agree with Kate's post as linked above, and I understand that I can be healthy and be on board with the fat acceptance movement. These things are not mutually exclusive.


I find it funny though, that as I learn more about accepting my body and loving myself as is, I become less and less motivated to make myself thin. Perhaps I am starting to see the bigger picture, perhaps there is a bigger light coming on within me. Maybe, just maybe, I can take good care of myself, become fitter and more toned and not remain obsessed with the scale, the measurements, the number of calories, etc. My husband keeps telling me this - why is it that someone we live with or are very close to can tell us something for years, and I truly mean years, and it isn't until we read it or hear it from somewhere else, that we actually begin to believe that it might have some merit? I can't count how many times J and I have had the exact same conversation, where he encourages me to get healthier, that I shouldn't care about all those pesky numbers, and that I should pay attention to how I'm feeling. He tells me I'm great just the way I am, and that he hopes we can do more physical activities together, like hiking in the mountains. This is not an unreasonable request (he's not talking Mount Everest people, but a 1-3 hours hike in moderation).

I'm excited about these possibilities. I have hope. Last week I was overwhelmed with the numbers and forcing myself to change, trying to ignore the hunger, and now I'm thinking that there is another way. I just need to open my mind and see the possibilities.

1 comment:

Laika said...

Kate Harding's post was very interesting. And I would agree with her that fat does not equal unhealthy.

My problem is that my only health problem (a hormonal syndrome called PCOS), both causes weight gain and is made worse by hormones secreted by the abdominal fat. And I know from experience that losing weight makes my endocrine system work better. So I have one of the few "diseases" that truly are tied to weight gain/loss. And it specifically makes it really hard to lose weight.

I can't blame it on my genetics otherwise, there are no other obese people in my family that I know of.

But besides the PCOS, my health is good. And when I'm serious about working out, I can run circles around my thin, smoking, excercise-hating relatives.

I think you're right though, good health is an excellent goal, and may or may not include weight loss. Cheers!